Sunday, November 27, 2011

Replanting

My mother use to have a beautiful border of peonies when I was growing up.  I always looked forward to taking them to my teachers at the end of the year when I was in elementary school.
 But a few years ago she planted a poplar tree in front of the peonies.  Peonies don't like the shade so consequently, they have not been doing well. Plus, I had planted other flowers around them that where invading their territory.
 So today, I decided to move then to a sunny, flower free spot.  Mama chose here, in front of the barbecue  pit.
 J did a lot of the digging while I did the sorting and planting.  Two sack fulls of goat manure were added for good measure.
 I'm not sure if we got them all dug up but there was a tub full of tubers.
Mama says she is really looking forward to spring to see if they will bloom like they use to.

5 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I love peonies! I had a nice one but my old dog took a dislike and kept digging it up.Polly was old and tired at that time so I chose not to fight herand I gave up. She has been gone a couple years now but I have never gotten around to getting another one started ,maybe next year

Alica said...

I love peonies! The smell is just wonderful! Hope they do well for her...sometimes they take a couple of seasons to bloom again when transplanted, but not always! :)

The JR said...

I luv peonies, but they don't really like the South that much.

IanH said...

My experience with peonies is that they likely will require a year or two to "settle in" before flowering. I hope you have better luck than I did. They are blooming well after the second year.

Crystal said...

I have a peonie in my garden that I just ignore and it grows like crazy every year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...