Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crew Cut

I didn't get around to pruning the fruit trees last year so I made sure it got done this year before it got out of hand. 

The directions on the pear trees was to "keep pruned to the desired height".
 So, I stand on top of an 8 foot ladder and top them.  Otherwise, they grow to over 40 feet tall.
 The apple trees are semi-dwarf so height isn't too much of a problem.
 I've been trying to keep the lower branches off so J can mow underneath and keep the center pruned out to allow more sunlight.
 It's a lot of work but the rewards are worth it if the season is good.

4 comments:

IanH said...

Thanks for reminding me of another job to go on the long list. Can't do it yet. Can't get to the orchard, too much snow.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Spring is way closer to you than us, hopes for a great season and harvest for you !

The JR said...

We had 3 trailer loads from the yard on sunday.

Need to go pickup the other 6 or 8 loads!

Crystal said...

I have 2 crab apples that hadnt been trimmed in about 10 years when I moved here, but now they are starting to look like good productive trees. Pruning sure makes a difference

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...