Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sad Day

We lost a great horse today.  J found Lady dead this afternoon.  In a 15 acre field she managed to get wedged between the fence and a steep bank. She was eating hay with the other horses 5 hours earlier.  When J came back from feeding the cattle he found her but she was already gone.  There was nothing that he could do.  I'm not sure how old she was but she was probably in her twenty's. 
 We had been keeping her for J's dad while he spent the winters in Florida.
 She was an extraordinary trail horse with her signature white tail.  She never spooked or even looks twice at anything.
 She was a friend.
 She was a mentor.
 And she could even be counted on for a parade horse.
We'll miss you Lady.



Link to farm photo friday

11 comments:

Crystal said...

Sounds like she had a good life and was a good horse. Her tail was sure unique.

50+ Horses said...

I'm so sorry. She seems like she was a Grand Gal and lived a fine life...and left without much drama - just the way many of hope to also go out...

Alica said...

I'm sorry...it's hard to lose an animal. I think she must have had a good life!

Kim said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!

Nell said...

Sad day, indeed. It's tough to lose a loyal friend and companion. Sorry for your loss.

The JR said...

Aw, this makes me sad. Even though I'd never met her I know how very hard it is losing one that you love so much

I'm sorry for all of ya'll losing her.

Ruthlynn said...

I am sorry to hear about your horse. However, I have a question about horse death. How do you deal with the body? Bury or haul away? We live on 40 acres of rocky land and have 4 horses. One day I might have to face this dilemma as well.

Daisy said...

What a wonderful lady she was. Clearly, she will be missed!
(Btw- since closing down my blog, I had to fill out this online form and I just stuck Daisy in the name for the fun of it - and now that's how my name comes up. But, it's me: Deanna.)
Blessings on you and your family and especially J's Dad as you get used to life without that beautiful Lady.

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Blessings.

(and the last pic made me cry)

Mimi
The Goat Borrower

C said...

A lovely tribute.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

just saw this . I am so terribly sorry for your loss , she sounds like a wonderful horse

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...