Monday, January 20, 2014

Finally, A Good Turnout

After last year's disappointing turnouts for 4-H meeting I almost quit as a leader.  But once I start something it is almost impossible for me to quit, so I am trying again.  This month I decided to do a round pen training demo at my barn.  Since the weather is unpredictable in January,  it seemed like a easy decision to have a meeting inside.  It was still cold but tolerable without the wind.  
 First, I lunged the horse and described what I was doing and how any a little bit about why.
 Then I had the kids try.  I started with Brother but had to switch to Jessica partway through because Brother got way too slow and slowness has never really been Jessica's problem.
I actually had to meet both Saturday and Sunday.  Some of the kids that were wanting to join couldn't make it Sunday and since I wasn't really doing anything else I just had them come Saturday.  I ended up with NINE kids all together.  I think that is a record since we have been involved.   E is very excited about the possibilities of having other kids to do stuff with.  Now I need to come up with a good idea for February.   I'm thinking of a vet talk about  how to check your horse's vital signs and when to call a vet.

5 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I think the vital signs talk is a great idea. I'm sure some of horse bloggers don't know how to check them too.

Unknown said...

That is great that you got more kids!

C said...

Congrats! With your experience you can be the speaker/presenter on multiple subjects.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

nice! I led the beef group in 4H for 1 year, but I guess I came into it too late the whole club seemed on its way out and folded the next year before the year end awards were even given out. very disappointing

Jacob D said...

Great idea. Nine kids is a great turnout. Maybe I can join so that I can re-learn things I am sure I have forgotten!! Take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...