Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Something Had To Be Done

There has been a nest of mean fuzzy bumble bees in the barn this summer.  I was moving some things around in the loft last month and saw them.  Then Saturday, I was getting the goat feed in the bottom of the barn, minding my own business when one attacked me and stung my hand.  V and M were with us and we had to go through the barn to get away from the goats or they would follow us up the driveway.  One of the bees took out after V and stung her on her eyelid.
 She may be smiling now, but there was a lot of screaming and crying before hand. 
 She even consented to let J put some tobacco on it.  I'm glad her eye didn't swell up as big as my hand did.  And the itching, it is almost unbearable.  So last night I was with J and we had some wasp spray.  I was 100 yards away outside the barn and one tried to attack me.  Luckily, it got stuck in the hood of my sweat shirt which I ripped off and promptly stomped into the ground.
 So the next plan of action was to wait until dark, put on the bee suit and try again. 
Since there is only one bee suit, I stayed at a safe distance, the house.  J said his first spraying did some good and a lot of the bees were already dead.  He was able to move the hay bales they were between and spray the rest of the nest.  Hopefully, that will be the end of the fuzzy bumble bees for this season anyway.

1 comment:

C said...

Horrible! Aggressive stinging bees - yikes yikes yikes. That bee suit certainly came in handy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...