Friday, September 7, 2018

A Little Ponying

Draper has started to test her boundaries while riding.  So far I have managed to get her over her little spells, but it is always a little scary.  Sometimes she stops and stubs up, then starts backing up then rearing a little.  I have had to get off, lunge her, then get back on to continue where we were going.  The rearing is really troubling to me because she does it when I am not putting any pressure on the reins, just asking for forward.  So today I decided that Otoelene could teach her a thing or two. 
 But first, I thought I might start working Otoelene on thinking about jumping.  I figure if Brother is doing it, she should be able to also.  She already trots and canters over ground poles so this was just a refresher today.  Tomorrow I think I will add a cross pole jump. 
 Draper hung out in the barn while I rode Otoelene, then I untied her and took off after a little directing by Otoelene to keep Draper in her place.  It is impossible to take a picture of yourself doing this, so this was the best I could do. 
 We went up and down some steep places and across a small creek. 
 When I got to the cattle I realized that I had dropped my camera somewhere so I had to backtrack.  J had just turned the cattle into this field and the grass is 1 1/2 feet tall and lopped over.   I thought my camera was gone for good but as you can see I did find it.   Draper was calm around the cattle.  Hopefully, Otoelene's manners are rubbing off. 
 We headed back to the barn after a successful outing. 
Love my two blonds. 

4 comments:

Mrs Shoes said...

Mr Shoes has been on the injured list for months (shoulder), so he hasn't been riding much this summer. I can only ride so many hours of the day, so that has meant almost every ride I am ponying one or both mares. Mr Shoes' mare sometimes forgets her place and thinks she can lord it over my boy - the ponying has let me remind her who is really the boss.

C said...

Very interesting. I did not realize that "ponying" would teach another horse how to behave.

C said...

Plus - I'm so glad you found your camera - what a relief.

Shirley said...

I have started ponying Mesa, it's a great way to teach youngsters how to behave on the trail and experience the big ole world without having to be on their back. I believe it makes them safer trail mounts- especially if the horse you are ponying from is sensible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...