Monday, May 16, 2011

District Qualifying Clinic

Usually our 4-H district only has one horse show to qualify at to attend the State Horse Show in September.  This year however, there were 2 shows and 2 clinics scheduled.  The first show was in April and it poured down rain.  The second show isn't until the end of June.  Because of V and E's busy summer schedules I thought it would be good to go to the clinic this past weekend in case we weren't able to get to the show in June.  
There was s showmanship portion that started at 11:00.   It was raining for that part but fortunately stopped before V and E started riding.
 E took the reining clinic which was from 2-5.  It was a lot of sitting while they tried different maneuvers one at a time for the instructor to critique.  He said E had a very well trained horse.
 Can't you just see the speed she's working with in the large fast circle?  They worked on pivoting, side passing, loping off straight and a small pattern.
 V's lesson was more concentrated in the 4:30 - 5:30 time slot.  There were only 2 others in the ring with her and Hank in Training Level Dressage.  This was her first time with a dressage instructor.  It was nice to see her ride and do what the instructor said without any "I can't" or "I'm tired."    She rode very well and Hank tried his best to be a dressage horse.  The instructor could tell how he was just trying to figure out what V wanted so he could do it.
J got a little tired waiting and found a comfortable piece of ground.  This wasn't nearly as stressful as a horse show.   I think everyone enjoyed the day and learned a little something.

2 comments:

Aimee Dickenson said...

I'm thrilled to see V riding Hank! What a handsome boy!!! I wanna be in 4-H!

The JR said...

Lucky girls. Oh how I wish I could have done this when I was young.

But am so proud I'm at least getting to show now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...