Monday, June 9, 2014

Birds in Strange Places

V helped us work cattle on Saturday.  E was in Lexington at a weekend State Horse Judging Team practice so it was just the three of us.  
 J has to set up some panels as a temporary fence to get the cattle into the pens.
 He already had them up in a small nearby field so it's never too much running for us to get them in.
 We weren't doing anything to the cows so we sorted them out first.
 And the calf work went fairly quickly, deworm, vaccinate, implant and about 6 to dehorn.
 Then we turned them back out with their moms.  Now for the bird part.  We were almost done when J said a baby bird fell out of the chute.
 There was a nest in the head gate that we had been opening and slamming shut all morning.  I tried to put the baby bird back but there was just no room.  I have no idea how they got a nest in there.  While I was trying to get the first one back two more fell out.
 Now what do you do with 3 baby birds that won't fit back where they came from?  I took J's LA200 box and cut the bottom off.
When I put it back on the chute (the nest was in the square hole on the bottom left) they just crawled out and fell back to the ground.  I know the parents can still take care of them like that but they really were so tiny and I didn't think they had much of a chance so I brought them home.  Well, I tried but lost them all.  Very hard to know what to do sometimes.

1 comment:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

sad.seems an odd place for a nest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...