Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Work

I normally don't blog about work but I just have to about this one. An owner brought in a basset hound that had had two puppies, the last one born 2 1/2 hours before the visit. (normal time between puppies is 15-30 min.) Radiographs showed 3 more puppies. I said I needed to give her some oxytocin to help the uterus contract and if that didn't work I would need to do a c-section. His comment "so your going to induce labor." No, she is already in labor, note the 2 puppies already here. The oxytocin worked for 2 more puppies but the last one just wouldn't come out. After 4 more shots and 1 1/2 hours I said it was time for a c-section. The brilliant owner asks "can't you just abort the puppy so we can avoid surgery?" The c-section was a success and I couldn't get them out of the door fast enough.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...