Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mount Rogers

We took another trip to Mt. Rogers (the highest point in Virginia)  this weekend but it wasn't a hiking trip.
 This time it was a trail ride.  Our local saddle club reserved a camp site so we joined them for the ride.
 Despite my frumpy appearance Hank and I were ready.
 Jessica was finally over all of her lameness issues so J rode her. J doesn't like how unruly Jessica's mane is so I tried a new hairstyle out on her.  It works pretty well.
 I haven't been on the horse trails here in years so I asked someone if the trails were rocky.  His response was "there are a few rocks but they are big."  I should have asked "is there any spots that don't have rocks?"  I was worried because of Jessica just getting well and she didn't have any hind shoes on.
 We did have a nice spot for lunch.
 Then some more rocks.
 We were a little surprised to see some Texas Long Horned cattle.  We didn't see any of the wild ponies up close though.
We rode for 7 hours then had a nice cookout.  The horses were both fine today, no worse for the wear.

4 comments:

Alica said...

This looks like fun! My VA geography isn't so good...are you...or is this anywhere near to Harrisonburg? I have a sister there...

C said...

Very picturesque view in the first picture of the post. Just you and J? No E or V?

The JR said...

Glad the horses were fine after the ride. How about ya'll though!

Looks like a fantastic place for a trail ride.

The JR said...

Glad the horses were fine after the ride. How about ya'll though!

Looks like a fantastic place for a trail ride.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...