Sunday, November 8, 2020

Tour De Cumberland - Day 2

Our second morning got off to an early start with a kayak trip before breakfast. 
E helped me and J get in our tandem kayak, then got hers out by herself.  What a good tour guide.  
The water on the sound side was very calm, and once again, the bugs weren't too bad. 
We heard more birds than we saw, but this fellow posed nicely for me. 

The current wasn't difficult to paddle against, and we were able to enjoy the sunrise.
Unfortunately, E's kayak had an unexpected leak.  She said she was sitting in 2 inches of water and wanted to get back.  This cut the trip a little shorter than I had hoped but we were still out for about an hour. 
Then it was back to the inn for breakfast on the grounds again.  I never get tired of the Spanish Moss. 
Next up on the bike tour was a 6 mile ride north to Plum Orchard. 
We passed the air field, 
and took a short break on a bridge over a tidal creek.
E was a good sport and let me take another togetherie. 
Plum Orchard is another Carnegie house that has been donated to the National Park Foundation.  Due to the China virus there were no inside tours but we had the outside and the grounds all to ourselves. 
I think we look right at home, 30 rooms, 22,000 square feet.  I think I might need a housekeeper though. 
Here we saw 3 manatees!  This one is taking a breath.
And this one just sat there with its tail visible until it slowly sank out of sight. 
As we were walking around the grounds, E looked down and found a shark tooth.
Then it was a 6 mile peddle back to the inn for lunch.  E was having a job interview in the afternoon and asked if we needed a nap.  I think she was the one wanting the nap, we were fine. 
So J and I headed back to the beach.  I was going to go swimming because the water was pretty warm, but I had forgotten to get a towel from E and I was afraid with it being cloudy that it would be too cold when I got out.  So only in to my waist. 
J headed down the beach but came back saying it was too crowded that way.  I think he saw a couple of people 2 miles away.
So we walked up the beach the other way where there was no one.
I had a couple of good finds, plus a second sand dollar a little later. 
Lots of birds, no people. 
E came out after her interview, (they offered her the job - banding yellow cheeked warblers from February to June in Texas: so our next vacation may have a destination) and we biked to the closest park campground to have a look around.  Somehow I didn't end up with any pictures here but the campsites were private, there was a bathhouse and a nice boardwalk out to the beach, with a shower and foot wash area.  Only problem is you have to bring everything over on the park ferry, if you don't bring it, there is no getting anything on the island.  
It was about dark when we returned.  Time to enjoy dinner of baked chicken, roasted potatoes and vegetable medley in E's room and watch some Netflix before bed. 

Next up, Ferry Ride Home. 
 




1 comment:

C said...

Enjoying the tour. Pretty early for the kayak trip. I love the bird (egret) silhouette - beautiful. The Spanish moss pictures are lovely (both the large tree and the lane of trees).

What a great family selfie (A+)

re: Plum Orchard: I'm not sure what right at home would look like in front of a 22k sqft house. Maybe that is how it would look.

E does not look excited at all about the shark's tooth find.

Beach population - I loved these two lines "J headed down the beach but came back saying it was too crowded that way. I think he saw a couple of people 2 miles away." You really had the beach to yourselves. I would have thought you would find more shells and other beach finds since there are so few people there.

Congrats to E and her new job offer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...