Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Jack

This is never a good sign when you see it in the driveway.  It means someone has had to pull a calf and now the jack has been washed off and is drying.  This time that someone was me.  J had left early to help a neighbor haul some cattle which left me to check the heifers after I took E to school and fed the goats.  
Unfortunately, I found one in labor that was having trouble.  I had to come back to the house and get the chains and jack and go back and pull the calf.  She had been in labor too long and the calf was already dead.  The jack is a very useful piece of equipment but it is something you really don't want to need.  I guess this was the price of being a good neighbor.

3 comments:

Alica said...

I know that process...and don't like it either! We use a "come-a-long", which I think must be similar to your jack.

Crystal said...

Oh that's too bad, I hate having to pull a calf, so much nicer when they do it alone.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

dang! We have one here too, hate to need it , but it has saved a calf life an awful lot of times , esp when I am the only one here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...