Friday, March 9, 2018

Poor Bea

J said Bea was acting funny a few days ago.   She was running away from him when he went to feed the dogs and acted scared.  I looked for her for the next two days and couldn't find her.  We finally found her on the third day, across the creek, by herself.  She wouldn't get up or respond to us calling. 
 So, we went back to the house, got the truck, drove around through town to get the the field on the other side of the creek.  I couldn't really find anything wrong other than she just didn't want to do anything. 
 I took her to the clinic and ran some bloodwork, pretty normal.  I xrayed her chest and abdomen, pretty normal.  I gave her barium, a dye to swallow, then xrayed her the next day.  Everything was moving through normal.  She was just depressed and didn't want to move.  I tested her for lyme disease and it was positive.  She had no fever and no lameness which are the usual signs we see in dogs.   But because it was the only thing I found we brought her home and put her on Doxycycline to threat the lyme Disease. 
 When we took her to the clinic, J hauled her in the livestock trailer.  But when we brought her home, we were in the small truck.  So, I borrowed the biggest crate at the clinic and we stuffed her in. 
She moved around and looked a little better than this on the way home.  She is now in the dog pen in the barn getting special food and attention.  Today was the 4th day of treatment and I think she seems to be improving.  It is so frustrating when they can't tell you what is wrong.  Sometimes we just have to guess and hope for the best. 

3 comments:

C said...

I hope the treatment works. She is such a sweet dog.

Shirley said...

Awww I hope your treatment works. Lyme in humans is so hard to treat, I hope it's easier for dogs.

Alica said...

Poor pup. It's good she has a vet for a mom! Hopefully she continues to respond well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...