Saturday, April 21, 2018

It's Getting Complicated

The kid count is rapidly escalating.  At first we were having a lot of singles from the yearlings.  This is actually a good thing.  One is usually all a yearling needs to try to keep up with.  But now the older nannies are popping them out.
 Three sets of triplets yesterday. 
 If the weather is nice and they are able to keep separated from the other nannies, they usually do a good job.
 But sometimes there is confusion. 
 There was a set of twins in the barn, but they were not this nanny's.  She was however, trying to steel them, just like the heifer from the other day.  J thought things would be ok but didn't want to be blamed if they weren't.  So to make me happy, he helped get her in a separate room.
 And it wasn't long before she had a set of twins.   Confusion averted. 
 I also spent some time beefing up the water trough cover.  I am doing my best to not have anything drown this year.  But I am sure they will still find a way. 
 And just in time, the older little ones are already jumping up there.
 Then this morning, much confusion.  This one had three with her but one over at the fence trying to nurse off the fence post.  I carried it over to her and she seemed to accept it. 
Then there was a set of twins on one side of the water tank, 
and a single on the other.  But after I lapped the field, I found another new one in a totally different location, with no nanny around.   I couldn't find anyone else that looked like they had kidded recently, so I thought I would try to give it to the one with the single.  But as the baby was squalling, the one with the twins seemed more interested, so I gave it to her. 
It looks like she has accepted it for the time being.  At least she hasn't pounded it into the ground yet.  This is getting very complicated.

Kid Count - 71

2 comments:

C said...

Those goat nannies are not making things easy.

Mrs Shoes said...

Question: why are multiple births so common in experienced nannies? Is it linked to how many time the buck covers the doe?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...