Saturday, September 22, 2018

Coupon Saturday #18, Okra, And Twin

I think I will start in reverse order from my title since this is more of a farm blog.
 Earlier this week, when J was checking the fall calving cows, he found a second set of twins.  The first set was born a couple of weeks ago and the cow is taking good care of both.  This set however, not so lucky.  The cow had totally abandoned this one after it was born so J loaded it up and brought it to the house.  He is doing great so far.
 And no, he is not deformed with a big head and little body, just a bad camera angle that I thought was cute.
 Next, the okra is going gangbusters.  I think J's dad has reached his saturation point with it.  We have been giving some to a neighbor and they said they were canning it.
 Since it is still blooming,
 And we are picking a bag full every 2 to 3 days, I thought I might try canning some.  That would make the giving season last even longer.  I say giving because we are not eating it at all.  J won't touch it and I haven't become a big enough fan to cook much for myself.
 I found a youtube video with an older gentleman showing how he canned okra to fry for later.  Here is the link if you are interested. OldAlabamaGardener He had lots of good reviews so I gave it a try.  I won't know how I did until I give it away and someone else cooks it, but it looks nice.  He also has a video on frying canned okra, a broccoli smoothie, home hemorrhoid remedies and a multitude of other interesting topics.
 And lastly, I did very little couponing this week.  But I couldn't pass up this laundry scent booster for 25 cents.
 It was on sale, and there was a store coupon and a manufacturer coupon that could be stacked on the same product.  I like with things go through without a hitch.
 I also went to Walmart to get my gift card for my complaint about not scanning coupons that met their store policy.  It manager again apologized and said all the cashiers would know the policy.
 I just so happened to have 2 coupons for Zyrtec for $4 off the childrens.  They have some in the infant department that meets the coupon requirements but is only $3.47.
And guess what?  The cashier said, "I don't know if you can use this because it is more than the product."  I didn't tell her I had just left the manager about this same issue, but stood patiently while she called over a supervisor.  The supervisor said she had seen these before and it was ok.  The cashier then said, "well, now I know."

1 comment:

C said...

More evidence of J's vigilance. Calf was cute.

I've eaten Okra and thought it was good but I never seek it out per se. I don't know if I've ever had fresh okra. I thought the Alabama gardener video was interesting. He seems like a very knowledgeable fellow. I wish I had videos of Grandma's canning process.

Nice follow up on the Walmart coupon policy training. At least the supervisors were informed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...