Instead of canning tomatoes I thought I would try just making tomato paste. I made some last year but tried something different today.
I have a mix of tomatoes. I wanted to use up the romas first. This technique called for a blender. I have one but haven't used it in many years. It still worked!
After pureeing the tomatoes, I passed them through a sieve. It also called for a thick bottom pan. My mistake last year was just using revere wear. It scorched. This year it worked much better in my dutch oven.
Just skins and seeds to throw out.
Then lots of boiling, boiling, boiling...
We have paste!
The first batch I am freezing in silicone ice trays. Then I will seal them in a plastic bag with the vacuum sealer. The second batch I froze in 1/2 pint jars. I still have a ton of tomatoes.







No comments:
Post a Comment