Monday, January 18, 2021

New Year's Resolution

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned E wanting to move up on the eBird county list.  Well, she added a rock pigeon and is now tied for 5th in the county.  I decided for a New Year's resolution to try to make it on the list of top 100 for the county.  E said my stretch goal should be top 50.   So, I am starting with only birds I have seen in 2021. 
Can you even see this one though?  Hint, the Brown Creeper is to the right of the knot.  
There are lots of birds that visit the yard like this Song Sparrow. 
I just love the expressions on their little faces. 
A lot of my sightings are what eBird lists as "insidental"- birding not being your primary purpose.  I went to feed the calf at the barn and this hawk was trapped there.  It kept flying to the light panels and not out the door.  I got the door opened wide enough and he finally headed in the right direction and got out.    Now I am just waiting on E to come home and identify it for me.                                

I really do like using her old camera, there is just no point trying to take a bird picture with mine anymore. 

I picked a pretty difficult time of the year to start.  Yes, it helps that there are no leaves, but the cold, snow, and grey skies make it tough to go out.
But I have managed 22 species so far which puts me at #123 already.  I think I might be able to make my goal when we have a good weather day.  My problem though is not being able to identify them without a picture, and getting them to hold still long enough, well - they just don't. 
 

1 comment:

C said...

I have no doubt you will make your goal and your stretch goal

It is nice to have E's ID skill available.

At first glance I thought E had taken some of these pictures. Nice work. I'm still not sure I'm seeing the brown creeper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...