Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Two Lamps, An Ashtray Stand, And A Light Shade

The other day I saw a birdbath on Facebook that was stunning. 
It was a glass bowl glued to two vases.  I knew it was a long shot but I decided to start looking for a similar bowl. 
Would you believe that I found this on my first trip to Goodwill?  It is not a bowl, it’s a ceiling light shade.  But definitely the look of my inspiration piece.  Next, I wanted a lamp for a base.  It just so happened that the route 21, 100 mile yard sale was this weekend. 
I scored this lamp for $1.  The base is glass.
Sister C gave me this metal lamp piece a few years ago when I was thinking of making a lamp totem pole.  I still have that as a goal but I decided to use this on my birdbath project instead. I used a hacksaw to remove the handles.
The dangling crystals are from an old ashtray stand.  Under the base I attached the weight from the yard sale lamp to make it less top heavy.
I am thrilled with how it turned out.  It is not currently able to hold water because of the hole in the center.  But I thought I might just stick a piece of As Seen On TV Alien Tape over it to see if that works.  But even if it doesn’t function as a bird bath, it is still nice yard art.  I have also driven a stake down the center of the hollow rod where the lamp cord would be and into the ground to give it a little more stability.
I think Kit Kat approves.





 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Well done! Some great finds there. What if you take a small bowl that will fit into the center hole and glue it in?

C said...

Bravo!! Nailed it. I think you made a great piece. Kit Kat should definitely approve :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...