Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Bee Hive Autopsy

It was a sad, sad day.  The weather was warm and I was cleaning around the bee hives.  But I wasn't seeing any bees.  They should have been flying around with temperatures in the high 60's, but nothing.   So I took a lid off.  
 And found nothing but dead bees.
 And more dead bees.
 All three hives, dead.
 I looked up some information and it said when the bees are head first in the cells, they may have starved.  But the thing is, there was at least 30 to 40 pounds of honey in each hive.  Another theory is since it stayed so cold for so long, the bees weren't able to move to where there was more honey without freezing. 
They also may have been weakened by the Varroa mite.  We have never treated for it before, maybe we should start if we get some new bees.  I am hoping that someone will let us know about a swarm.  The honey in the frames is still good and the bees would have a head start.  Very depressing after such a wonderful harvest in the fall. 

1 comment:

C said...

How terrible. I'm so sorry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...