Monday, July 30, 2018

Sunday Ride

The weather looked promising Sunday so I suggested that we go trail riding.  J said OK and we headed out. 
 Jessica was feeling spirited so J worked on lunging her first.  This was after I had run her around in the barn for 15 minutes before loading her up.  He got on after a bit but Jessica balked and bucked.  So back off for more lunging.
 She sure doesn't act like a 17 year old horse.  Anyway, we were the only ones at the campground to start with.  I sort of thought me missed a memo or something.  It was just 2 years ago that 48 trailers were packed in here (story HERE)
 But then a couple of more trailers showed up,  and they had a dog Two Socks.  Two Socks paid no attention to the owners calling or cajoling.  He just wanted to run around in circles with Jessica.
 As you can imagine, this did not get J off to a very good start.  But the second time up, Jessica decided to go and she was calm. 
 I got in front at one point only to be stopped by Otoelene spooking at this tree with rocks in it.  I finally got her to pass by,
 and another tree with rocks in it.  What's the deal with that?
 Then Jessica got into something stinging or biting, J never was able to see what it was.  But she took off through the brush rubbing and scrubbing and J finally had to get off and lead her back to the trail.  I had some bug spray so he resprayed her and we were off again.
 Jessica's mane is usually wild and goes on both sides which annoys J.  So I had braided it to contain it to one side.  You can see that only half of the braids are left after her scrubbing adventure.  We had a brief lunch stop where a father son pair passed by.  They asked if I could take their picture for them.
 Then back on the trails which were pretty uneventful until close to the end.
 There is a section of the trail between the river and a rock cliff.  The horses are never very comfortable through here.  J heard some commotion and got off.  There was a turkey and some little ones coming up from the river and climbing the cliff.   J thought she might fly up and startle Jessica and he just didn't feel like riding through another spin and bolt.  But the turkey never flew up and Jessica remained calm.  Better safe than sorry. 
Then the last river crossing and back home.  I was on cloud nine with Otoelene.  So glad J puts up with the things I want.  I thought it was a very nice 5 hour ride.

1 comment:

C said...

It looks like J definitely got all the drama. I'm glad you had a good time with O. J is a winner.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...