Thursday, February 28, 2019

Third Tier Heat

After torrential rain and 50+ mph wind, we lost power on Sunday.  Without power we have no heat or water.  We usually have our gas logs available for backup heat.  But on February 8th, I had smelled gas out in the yard around the tanks.  I called immediately to report a possible leak.  The only help I got was, "find someone to turn the tanks off and we will get there when we can."   I called again February 12th.  "We are short handed, you won't be charged for any loss."  I said I was more worried about the safety issue.  Then came Sunday February 24, no power no gas logs.  
 So the little wood stove in the garage was called into service.  It was nice being able to come in and stand over it to warm up.  Luckily, the temperature didn't drop too bad in the house.  59 was as low as I saw it.  Then Monday morning I called the gas company and let them have a piece of my mind.  They sent a boy out to fill the tank, which surprise, was empty (even though we have not used any gas) and he couldn't tell if there was a problem and couldn't tell me if the logs were now safe to use, and of course the person that could possible know anything was not available.  I started the logs anyway and we haven't blown up yet.  But I think I will cancel my service (or lack there of) with this company.
Tuesday afternoon, we saw the powerline workers on the neighboring farm.  A tree had fallen across the line.  We finally got power back after 2 days, 3 hours and 4 minutes (according to the email from the power company.)

4 comments:

Alica said...

Thank goodness it wasn't bitter cold!! We are so dependent on our power, aren't we?

Mrs Shoes said...

Please explain what a gas log is? I've never heard of that.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

so glad you have options for heat!

C said...

For Mrs Shoes: gas logs are fake logs in a fireplace that when turned on flame up. They are powered by gas (natural gas or propane which is piped into the fireplace). Gas logs look like an actual fire when lit. They will heat up the room like a regular fire in your fireplace. If you look at the prior post about the rug, you will see a fireplace with logs - that is what gas logs look like when they are not lit.

That is a long time to go without electricity. I hope you did not lose too much food from your freezer or refrigerator. To prolong the cooling time in the fridge, I keep a frozen gallon jug in my freezer which I switch to my refrigerator to keep it cool when the power goes out.

Nice to have a third tier heat backup (most people would not have that).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...