Friday, April 26, 2019

Goats, Goats, and More Goats

It seems like about the only thing we get done lately is dealing with the goats. 
girl, boy, boy, girl
 The bottle goats have made progress.  Four can go to the automatic feeder now.

 The little tree root triplet still needs a little extra attention but she is coming along well and there is certainly no problem with her lungs.  She can scream louder than any of them.
J turning a nanny out the next morning after having assisted her in kidding
 Wednesday was a busy day for J.  Twelve nannies kidded while I was at work.  He had to pull 3 of them.  They were all singles from yearling nannies.  Then he had to call me to come home from work early because there was one he couldn't get pulled.  Only the feet were coming and his hand was too big to try to find the head.  Well, I could get my hand in but still couldn't get the head to come through the pelvis.  The only alternative was a c-section.  So I sedated her and loaded her in the back of the Rav and took off back to the clinic. (this a is small animal clinic mind you)
 The other vet that I was working with said if I had to do a c-section she wanted to watch.  She was kind enough to stay late and run the anesthesia for me.
 And look what came out, a 6 1/2 pound doeling.  I couldn't believe she was still alive after all of that.  I had pulled into the clinic at 7:10 and was pulling back out at 8:10.  The other vet said that was the fastest c-section she had ever seen.
 Two days later the little thing is up and nursing great.  It was touch and go as to the nanny accepting it, but it looks like she will.
 She seems to be doing well.  I gave her some oxytocin when I got home and she passed the placenta in a timely manner.  We gave her some LA200 (antibiotic) and I gave her some pain medicine for a couple of days.  Her incision is looking good so far.  If things look good in the morning we will turn her out into a bigger room in the barn.
Then yesterday, my technician at work said, "there's a name I haven't heard before, Tulip."  I thought perfect!  That will be the theme for the female bottle goats.  I can never think of good names for them.  This year they will all be flowers.  I think I will start with Tulip.
Kid count 70

2 comments:

IanH said...

Wow, 70 kids! I have to ask though, what do you do with them when grown? Is there a market for goats?🤔

C said...

What a post. The goats at the automatic feeder are so cute but that little tree root baby is even cuter. I'm glad she is ok.

What a harrowing story about the nanny having trouble giving birth - and to have a happy ending - how nice.

Love your tulips.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...