Friday, March 6, 2020

Equine Challenge Day 9

I was nominated for the ten-day equestrian challenge. This is 9/10
Everyday I select an image from a day in the life of horses that have had an impact on me and post it without a single explanation and nominate one other person to take the challenge.
That’s ten days,
10 equestrian photos
and 0 explanations.
No horse in this picture but it was taken at a horse show at our county fairgrounds.  My father took me to just about every horse event that I went to, driving me and my horse in a 1972 stock truck.  He even took me 5 hours away to watch a polo match so I could complete my 4-H Horse Masters project book.   I am pretty sure he had no interest in horses, but he had a lot of interest in me and making me happy and successful.   At most shows, he could be found re webbing lawn chairs, or taking a nap in the front seat of the truck.  That is until I was in a class, then he was there giving me a leg up, standing at the rail and taking pictures.  He never told me I couldn't do something, and always told me how good I did, never a criticism.   My older sister L (yellow shirt)  took care of that.  She was at the rail giving me instructions.  I rode endless circles around her as she instructed me on my equitation, "heels down, toes in, grip, grip grip..."  She was my harshest critic and biggest cheerleader.  My mother didn't go to all my shows but she did go to some that were close by and of course the big one in Richmond, the State Fair.  But once again, she never told me no, if it was something I wanted to do.  I really don't know how I didn't turn out to be more of a spoiled brat than I am.  And I am sorry if I ever felt embarrassed about my parents, I mean, what 12 year old would be embarrassed about those hats.

1 comment:

C said...

What a touching write-up. I was tearing up and then you pulled a great finish. Bravo!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...