Sunday, October 3, 2021

First Ride Back

It has been about 10 days since Otoelene got her new navicular shoes. 
The toe is trimmed shorter, the shoe set back some toward the heel and a 2 degree heel wedge.  This is causing a quicker breakover and less heel pressure hopefully helping with the navicular symptoms.  It also makes for a much shorter somewhat choppy stride.  Anyway, with that and 1 1/2 grams of bute a day, she is at least sound at the walk.  
So I thought, after over 2 months off, I would just go for a nice calm walk around the farm.  The problem with that is after 2 months off and no warm up to speak of because I didn't want to stress her foot more, she wasn't wanting to do the calm part or the walk part. 
We did get off to a pretty good start and she always likes riding through the cows.
But as we went on a walnut fell out of a tree and almost hit her which set her off in a little bucking fit. (I think Draper has been talking to her)  It wasn't as bad as Draper and I was able to stay on and get it stopped.  I headed on the the outdoor arena where we walked laps until she calmed down.  Maybe next time we should start there before heading out to the rest of the farm.  
 

1 comment:

C said...

I hope the new shoes will help. Bucking fit - not good. I'm glad you were able to stay on and get it stopped. Phew. I'm sorry to hear of all these horse challenges. I know you have the experience to deal with it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...