Friday, February 10, 2023

Scary Sunlight

I have a lot of excuses for not riding Draper for the last three weeks.  But today worked out where I was finally able to go for a ride. I thought things got off to a good start, she seemed calm.  Then when I got on and just started walking, she threw her head up and started spooking at a board halfway across her barn that I had just lead her past 30 seconds before.  I finally got her over that spell.
Then she spooked at the sunlight on a board at the other end of the barn.  I had been trotting past it for ten minutes when she decided to spook and run sideways for 50 feet.  So then there was lots of circling at this end until the sun moved and there was no longer an excuse to spook.  Of course, these are all fake spooks, because we all know Draper really isn’t scared of anything, except maybe work.  She earned an hour at the thinking post when I was done.  I am hoping to ride again tomorrow and see if she is over this silliness.
 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

I read recently that horses eyesight doesn't adapt quickly to changes in light- specifically from bright to dark or vice versa. Although they can see better in the dark than us. Something to do with the amount of cones and rods in their eyes.

C said...

A lot of horse psychology to consider. I hope you can get Draper past these fake spooks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...