Sunday, February 23, 2020

Equine Challenge Day 4

I was nominated for the ten-day equestrian challenge. This is 4/10
Everyday I select an image from a day in the life of horses that have had an impact on me and post it without a single explanation and nominate one other person to take the challenge.
That’s ten days,
10 equestrian photos
and 0 explanations.
I am the one doing the backbend.  It was then followed by a kickover to a handstand then push off and land on my feet on the ground, tada.  This was when I was much more flexible and fearless.   I'm not sure how our 4-H group got started with vaulting.  I think someone saw it once, then got us a vaulting saddle and a book with diagrams.  One of the dads welded a couple of handles onto a barrel and covered it with carpet so we could practice.  Then we rounded up a couple of small, calm horses and off we went.  We were the only vaulting group in the area, so we never went to a competition, but we did do several exhibitions.  On one of our packing rides, someone asked for a demonstration.  We didn't have the vaulting saddle with us to we improvised with a couple of loops tied in a rope then hooked to a girth, not really the same thing.  All went well until this maneuver.  I missed the horse with my hands and was hanging upside down with my head between the horse's front and back feet while it was trotting, and Julie wouldn't let go of my legs.  She eventually did, I dropped to the ground, the horse jumped over me, the crowd gasped, I got up unhurt, then everyone busted out laughing.   Good times.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Haha back in the day.
Vaulting looks fun but I think I missed my chance, I'm too old and inflexible and it hurts to hit the ground

C said...

How was this ever allowed. I just don't think this would be done today.

Shirley said...

Wow.... you got lucky! I am always amazed at the trick riders, I wouldn't have the guts to do what they do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...