Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Made It To Horse Heaven With Walker

We were going to ride Friday, but it rained 3 inches Thursday and we didn't think the trails would be in very good shape. 
Then Walker was going to help his granddad in the hay Saturday.  So J and I decided to head out on our own with Jessica and Otoelene.  We only made it less than a mile.  Jessica had no energy, sweat was dripping off of her and she was breathing like a freight train.  She usually takes the lead and walks out like she is on a mission.  Saturday she kept stopping, I finally got in front with Otoelene and Jessica didn't even try to keep up.  We decided to quit and go back.  I think she may have a heart problem.  Everything is pointing in that direction.  She is fine in the field and no problems eating, so she is just hanging out for now.  I am going to have my large animal vet friend come take a look.   So, I guess it worked out that Walker wasn't with us on that ride.  
Then Monday, J got a new mount.  He picked Otoelene to ride. 
Walker was on Hank of course. 
The misery index was pretty high for the first couple of miles.  Swarms of horse flys, and Otoelene and Draper didn't want to go in front.  That left Hank ambling at a painfully slow pace until we got Walker to keep him sped up. 
We crossed paths with this snake, I am saying it is a rattlesnake. It was pretty big. 
Once we made it to the top the flies weren't as bad and I was able to get Draper out front to pick up the pace.  
Walker said he liked riding in the middle anyway. 
Draper's ears to prove she was there. 
 Once we hit the gravel road we did some trotting which Walker enjoyed.  First trail ride under his belt now.  He said it was fun and I think is ready to go camping next. 

1 comment:

C said...

More fun with Walker. Not sure I would call dealing with the heat and horse flies fun - but that's me. That snake! Yikes!

I hope Jessica rabbit is ok.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...