Monday, April 18, 2022

Skin Grafting A Kid Goat

We had this nice nanny kid on Saturday.  It looked like the baby had been attached by some sort of wild animal. It's head was swollen and there were wounds under the tail and around the anus. 
I got her in, milked her and tube fed the baby for 2 days.  He was never able to stand and was dead this morning.  
The triples born on the 9th have been doing well.  I have been bottle feeding them to help supplement the mother.  The little one on the right always eats the most, so I just assumed that she may not be getting as much from the mother as the other two.  Since she was at the barn and handy to get to, and the nanny that lost a kid is relatively easy to handle, I thought I might try my hand at doing a skin graft.  
It is not a very pleasant process.  It involved skinning the dead goat and placing the hide on the live one.  I will spare you any pictures of that process.  But the way I skinned it just made a nice jacket.   The fit was a little snug, but I think it will work. 
Hopefully, the nanny will decide that this is hers and she will accept it.  The whole process makes me think of Silence of the Lambs.  

 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

I hope it works! I know cattle ranchers do this successfully. Let us know !

C said...

I guess you don't have to say "spoiler alert" on a 31 year old movie :)

I hope you efforts are successful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...