Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Seeing Eye Birder

E has been home for a few days over Christmas and it has been wonderful visiting with her.  She was reading an article in a birding magazine about a visually impaired birder that had a seeing eye human.  I think that is what E is for me.  Thankfully, I am not visually impaired but I do need someone better at spotting and identifying those little flitty things.  With her help I have added 3 more birds to my county list.  This should move me into 62nd place.  So, I made my goal of top 100 but not my stretch goal of 50th. 
She spotted this yellow-rumped warbler in the yard.
I got a picture at take off. 
But my only yellow rump picture was blurry.  
And I spotted this yellow bellied sap sucker all on my own for my TV room window. 
Monday, we drove around to the other side of our farm across the creek to check out the pond. 
There were 5 mallard ducks, 
and about 25 killdeer.  But I already had both of those on my list. 
Carolina Wren, 
and goldfinch have both been seen before too. 
There is a goldfinch in this picture if you look hard.  The only new bird from across the creek was a golden-crowned kinglet which I am taking my seeing eye birder's word on.  There was no way I could see it long enough to study on what it was or get a picture of its flitty fluttering body. She said that it's movement was part of how to identify it.  I have 3 more days to work on my list but E is leaving tomorrow and I have to work for the next 2 days.  So I guess if I want to try for one last push for my stretch goal, I will have to go birding all day Friday.  Thanks for all your help E, I have had a great time. 
 

1 comment:

C said...

Lucky you to have such a keen seeing eye birder in the family. I hope you meet your stretch goal :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...