Saturday, February 12, 2022

Above The Fireplace

Over the years I have tried several things about the fireplace.  It is sometimes a challenge because the ceiling is 14 and 1/2 feet there.  
Christmas is easy, I put up a Christmas tree made from costume jewelry that I got at an auction years ago. 
I used this for awhile.  It is a print called Twilight.  I like it but it looks washed out against the white walls.  And the frame doesn't fit well with my mid century.  
I still love this.  It is a very old calendar picture from my father's family mill.  It is very special.   Plus, it has a dog.  
This is a photo I took and used an app to make it look like a painting.  It's too big to fit between the sconces though.  
Then I saw this on Ebay.  I took a chance and bought it from China.  It is similar to the one advertised but I just can't get past the back leg structure.  They stuck an extra joint in there.  It just looks like a broken leg to me. 
Recently, I found this on Ebay doing one of my favorite searches, "Mid Century Horse".   It is actually a curtain panel.  I made a frame for it and attached it like an oil painting.  It is almost 4 feet wide and five feet tall.  I love it so far.  I think it fits the space.  
 

3 comments:

C said...

Definitely some very good choices in there. The last one looks like it ticks all your boxes. It really addresses the scale of the space.

(the broken leg remark made me laugh - I can understand how that would annoy a vet :)

Shirley said...

I like the last one too. It fits perfectly and draws the eye upward as though the fireplace itself is taller. Due to not having a contrasting frame I think.
Dos Galgos has a good idea though. With that tall of a ceiling the artwork doesn't have to rest on the mantle.
The "broken" leg would drive me nuts too!

Linda said...

It’s stunning. What a beautiful space.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...