Thursday, February 10, 2022

Pothos

I have always called this plant a philodendron.  But E has corrected me and said it is a pothos.  Of course I had to look it up and yes, she is right.  It is a pothos.  Anyway, it is something that came with J.  His mother gave it to him after he graduated from college and started living on his own sometime around 1987.  So it has been with J longer than I have.  
About every 5-7 years, it starts to loose more leaves and get very leggy.  
That is when I cut the ends off, stick them in water until they root then replant them.   E has taken a cutting, but for the last year it hasn't gotten past 2 leaves.  As soon as a 3rd leaf starts, the oldest one dies.  I don't know what is going on there. 
This one is nearing the end of it's cycle and may need to be cut back soon.  There are a lot of vines in there with no leaves.  It's always a little scary to cut it back because I don't want anything to happen to it after all this time.   I also have no idea how long it would be if I stretched it out.  It is way to tangled to try. 
 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

I had one or more of those back in the day when I had plenty of house plants. Philodendrons have split leaves.
The legginess is why I never continued with this plant. You are doing good to have kept it going for so many years!

C said...

1987 wow!!

Pothos - new to me too

I remember a coworker having one of these plants. His grew all around the top of the wall in his office (I guess he used hooks or something to hold it up). I had one of these plants back in the day - it bit the dust long ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...