Monday, May 30, 2022

Awesome Birding Day With Emily

Joe and I went birding around the farm with Emily this morning.  We started with an indigo bunting in the yard.  I didn't get a picture but did see it with the binoculars.  We also saw another one later on our walk, but alas, no picture again. 
I also added a white breasted nuthatch, 
and a great crested flycatcher. 
At one point I saw a little bird flying back and forth at the edge of the woods.  Emily spotted this nest.  Pretty amazing, seeing as it just looks like a knot on the limb. It is so well camouflaged with the lichen.  I suggested waiting to see if the bird came back. 
And she did. 
So I got to add an eastern wood-pewee.  
I already have a black vulture and blue jay, just thought it was a cool picture. 
Joe spotted this amazing scarlet tanager.  Very impressive.  
We also found yet another down tree on our walk.  
When we got back to the house, there were two bald eagles soring over the yard, unbelievable.  
Emily checked on her bluebird box that has a tree swallow nest.  She made it so the side can open.  And look what was inside, at least 4 little hatchlings.  
Then, when I was helping Emily get her camping box out of the shop, I found another bird nest.  She thinks this is a Carolina wren.  And look where it decided to build the nest, 
in Hank's feed bag.  Altogether, I was able to add 7 new birds during Emily's visit.  That has jumped me into a 4 way tie for 24th.  A very successful outing.


 

1 comment:

C said...

Truly an extraordinary birding day. 24th position - great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...