Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Orange Rust

This is in the category of "It is always something."
I was working in the garden when I noticed some of the blackberry vines didn't look right. 
On closer inspection, I saw all of this orange stuff on the underside of the leaves.  Without my glasses I first thought it was some sort of insect eggs.  I took a leaf inside to check out with my glasses on and saw it was orange rust.  It is a fungal infection.  The extension site I checked out said there was no cure and to dig up and destroy the infected plants.  So far, I only identified it on 2 of the plants.  They are now in a bag to head to the dump.  I was too scared of it spreading to just toss it over the fence like I do everything else.  This may end up being the end of our blackberries, but I hope not. 
 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

I hope you have it contained.
My hollyhocks always get rust on them, it doesn't affect the blooms, just the leaves, and doesn't spread to other nearby plants. It's just unsightly.

C said...

OH NO!! I hope you have successfully culled out the problem plants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...