Friday, January 28, 2022

Just Say No

The other day I had a woman and her boyfriend bring in this 4 pound Chihuahua for vomiting and not acting right.  The poor little thing was just weaving back and forth, running backwards, and circling.  It's pupils were fully dilated.  The woman said it was because it ate a spicy chicken sandwich.  Seeing the owners with their piercings, tattoos, dyed hair and slurred speech, I asked what drugs could the dog have gotten into.  Nothing, I was told.  I asked again, what drugs are in the house.  Well, maybe Zoloft, Seroqel and a nasal decongestant.  I asked again and again.  Finally, the woman sent her boyfriend out of the room and said it was probably his methamphetamine.   Now we are getting somewhere. 


There is no antidote.  We got an over the couther drug testing kit from Walmart (who even knew that was a thing?)  and he did test positive for meth.  I gave him as much sedation as I could throughout the day and by the evening he had stopped circling and weaving in favor or standing on his hind legs and jumping incessantly.  Thankfully, the next morning he was quiet and acting normally.  Now we have to wait to see what is more important on payday, getting the dog back or buying more drugs.  There are a lot of sad situations out there, but at least they did seek medical help. 
 

2 comments:

C said...

So sad

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Oh goodness! I have heard that there is a higher incidence of cannabis toxicity in pets ESPECIALLY since it has become legal in Canada

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...