Sunday, January 30, 2022

Thankful Sunday #5

We lost Bumble on Friday.  I am thankful that we had such an extraordinary dog for over 12 years.  I am thankful for the medicine that helped manage her painful arthritis for the last year.  
 And I am thankful that in the end, when she could no longer get up on her own, I was able to quickly and painlessly end her suffering with J holding her at home. 
Before we got Bumble and Bea, J and I had talked about getting a guard dog because we were losing so many goats to the coyotes.  I didn't think it was a good idea.  I just didn't believe a dog would be able to stay with the goats, guard them and not harm them, and not end up just staying in the yard as a pet.  
I was wrong.   Even at 4 months old, they were doing their best to keep up and stay with the goats.  
Bumble and Bea were an astounding team.  Even to the point of splitting up if one needed to stay with a sick or injured goat while the other one went with the rest of the herd. 
Even when she was 3 times Emma's size, she was never aggressive toward her.
And when it was time to start getting some help, she was there ready to train and show the way. 
She was always tolerant of all the baby goat antics, 
and watchful too.  
She loved attention as long as the goats were in sight, and was ready to move on when they moved on.  
I would never have believed a dog could be so gentle, so protective, so selfless, so steadfast,  without seeing it for myself first hand.  I am thankful that I had such an amazing dog show me she could. 
 

3 comments:

C said...

That was a truly beautiful tribute to be wonderful dog.

C said...

to a wonderful dog (typo correction)

Shirley said...

Awww so sorry for your loss. What a lovely gentle soul.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...